enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rr merlin spark plugs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> British Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkammlott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 09:45    Post subject: rr merlin spark plugs. Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me the spark plug part # for the merlin? I need a set of a project.(Im not buiulding one , sorry wish i owned one)I was told that they were the same plugs as a Cheetah radial.thanks Robert. are they the same as a allison?
rkammlott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 06:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it RHL27s and RHL28s
dbirch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 07:32    Post subject: rr merlin spark plugs Reply with quote

The sparking-plug mainly used in the Merlin during the war was the Lodge R725/5 or 962 (Air Ministry number RS.5), or the KLG RC62 (Air Ministry number RC.5). Variations had a slash number after the 5.

Cannot believe that the same plug was used in the Cheetah, which didn't have enough boost to blow your hat off, thus did not need a high-rated plug.

Allison engines had American plugs, but it is quite possible that those in RAF service had the above British plugs, as did the Mustangs and B-17s in the 8th and 9th Air Forces in Europe.

However, I believe the British plugs were manufactured in the US, under a different name, so these would have been fitted into Allisons.

There would be other types of Lodge and KLG plugs after the war, particularly for the civil engines, but do not know their identities.

Dave Birch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> British Engines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: