enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ALLISON V-1710 CRANKSHAFT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Allison Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwells

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 23:43    Post subject: ALLISON V-1710 CRANKSHAFT Reply with quote

Can anyone supply me with a picture(s) or drawing(s) of the 12 counterweight crankshaft that was used in the late model V-1710 engines?

These cranks had the counterweights cast integral with the rest of the shaft and they were unusual in that they were skewed at an angle to the crankcheeks, thus giving them an odd shape.

The only photo I have is in the SAE paper by Dim Gerdan on the Allison but the picture is very small and blurred by the photocoping process.
rwahlgren

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 20:57    Post subject: Re: ALLISON V-1710 CRANKSHAFT Reply with quote

jwells wrote:
Can anyone supply me with a picture(s) or drawing(s) of the 12 counterweight crankshaft that was used in the late model V-1710 engines?

These cranks had the counterweights cast integral with the rest of the shaft and they were unusual in that they were skewed at an angle to the crankcheeks, thus giving them an odd shape.

The only photo I have is in the SAE paper by Dim Gerdan on the Allison but the picture is very small and blurred by the photocoping process.

They were not cast. Forged and unless something was changed, the info I have is the counter weights were welded on. Personally I think not a good idea on an aircraft engine crankshaft.
rwahlgren

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.enginehistory.org/members/AllisonV-1710.php

Scroll to topic "Cylinder Blocks" 2nd paragraph, and see crankshaft.
rwahlgren

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 02:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now I am confused?

http://www.enginehistory.org/Piston/Allison/AllisonCW/AllisonCW.shtml

Using twelve relatively short balance weights enabled the counterweights to be cast integrally with the rest of the shaft resulting in a stronger finished component.

CAST and integral not welded?

I don't think there was any high performance American aircraft WW2 engine
that used a CAST crankshaft, all were forged.

This is from a Factory publication.
http://www.enginehistory.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1027
The above must be the old model not using the newer crankshaft.
It is possible the newer crankshaft mentioned has nonwelded weights.

The RR Trust Allison crank info needs some checking into for accuracy.
I still question a CAST crankshaft.
And Fig 3 does not look like a lathe, it looks more like a polishing machine, or what ever, no heavy engine lathe will have bars for ways. Figure 8 you can see that the RH top weight is welded.
kmccutcheon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The R-R Heritage Trust Allison crank info needs some checking into for accuracy.

Dan Whitney is unaware of any cast Allison crankshafts. I have updated the article accordingly.

By the way, Ford planned to use a centrifugally cast crankshaft in the V-1650 GGA it designed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Allison Engines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: