enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Douglas Air-Cooled Ford Model "A" Conversion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwesterman

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 15:30    Post subject: Douglas Air-Cooled Ford Model "A" Conversion Reply with quote

Looking for Douglas engine conversion blueprints, information, parts, converted engines and the location of engines in private collections and museums.

Also looking for additional magazine articles and any coverage of this conversion in any books.

Thanks CL
wallan

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 03:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.steenaero.com/articles_detail.cfm?ArticleID=61

Popular Aviation December 1934 has Corben's article about modifying the engine; not sure if it is the Douglas one.

This is from October 1935

http://www.antiqueairfield.com/types/Corben/feature.html

Is it mentioned in Caunter's Light Aero Engines?
cwesterman

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

wallan wrote:
Popular Aviation December 1934 has Corben's article about modifying the engine; not sure if it is the Douglas one.

This is from October 1935

http://www.antiqueairfield.com/types/Corben/feature.html

[size=18]Thanks Wallan

That is just a conversion for aircraft use. Similar to the Pietenpol conversion. Both retain the water cooling system and require a radiator. Both are much heavier.

The Douglas is air-cooled and lightened. Much more is involved in doing this conversion.

I've seen the conversion being called the "Douglas Bearcat" in several articles on the Knight Twister KTD-2, registration number 13661, but haven't found an article on the engine itself under that name yet.

Finding the blueprints mentioned in the ad will answer most questions. Finding an engine in a private collection or museum would also be helpful.

Thanks CL
wallan

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 04:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but some also reference them using the Douglas conversion.

By the way, it's Bill.

In some articles it mentions it's Bear-Cat.

As I say, my copy of Caunter isn't available to me at the moment.
csullivan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 09:44    Post subject: Douglas engine Reply with quote

The Douglas engine was an air cooled adaptation of the Ford Model A engine. I asked Henry Douglas about it at his hangar at Lambert Field (near Bolingbrook, IL) a few years before he passed away. He basically cut the cylinder banks off of a Ford block and attached a set of aircooled cylinders to the base. I don't know how many engines he sold, but he said a fellow from Canada wound up buying the whole works (jigs, fixtures, patterns, plans) from him and took it back to Canada. He did not know what happened to the project from there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Wants All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: