enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

French aircraft engines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wpearce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 17:59    Post subject: French aircraft engines Reply with quote

A while back an AEHS member was looking for some information on a particular French aircraft engine. While trying to find some information I stumbled upon the site linked below. There is a "Moteurs" section with about 30 PDF documents. I do not read French so I do not know how good they are but they look pretty good, and you can't beat the price. Just thought I'd share (even though it took me a while to get around to posing this).

Many of the documents do not list an author but some have Gerard Hartmann. My thanks go to Mr. Hartmann and anyone else involved in making this information available to the world.

There are also a number of other documents that may be of interest, especially to those who can read French.
http://www.hydroretro.net/etudegh/index.php

WJP

www.oldmachinepress.com
abreton

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 09:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I DO read French and I can say... These texts are very bad and written by someone who knows neither engine aircraft technology, or even its vocabulary ... The history of French aero engine still remains to be written!
wpearce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

abreton wrote:
I DO read French and I can say... These texts are very bad and written by someone who knows neither engine aircraft technology, or even its vocabulary ... The history of French aero engine still remains to be written!

Thank you very much for the feedback even though it is disappointing to know the texts are poor.

www.oldmachinepress.com
jwells

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 23:18    Post subject: Hartmann articles Reply with quote

First, thanks to Bill Pearce for taking the time to inform us of the existence of the Hartmann articles.

Clearly Mr Hartmann's primary interest is in float planes and their history and it is to his credit that he has extended the scope of his articles to include French aero-engines.

I have downloaded two of the engine stories; the first is the one concerning the history of the Salmson Company. I have only very limited knowledge of the French language but was able to pick my way through the material and learn a few things of interest.

The second article I have printed out is the Rossignol article on the canon versions of the Hispano-Suiza. This is a very thorough study of the subject and the article is very well presented. My problem is that, in this case, I can't understand the text! The explanations are, understandably, quite complex. Very frustrating!

If anyone ever translates or comes across a translation of one or both of these articles, please let me know. I'd really like to read them.

Wouldn't it be nice if we all spoke the same language!!!!!
gravery

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

abreton wrote:

I do read french too but have to say I disagree. This website is a reputable one amongst the french aero amateurs and the available info, maybe not the most detailed or accurate one, is known to be reliable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: