enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4140 cylinders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aburhoe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 18:18    Post subject: 4140 cylinders Reply with quote

I’m looking for information regarding cylinder or sleeve materials in use for high output aircraft engines. I’m particularly interested in cylinders or sleeves that have been manufactured from 4130, 4140 and similar alloys, and what type of surface treatment, if any, the manufacturers used. If anyone has a source for information, or even just recollections of what has been used, and the success (or lack thereof) I’d appreciate all contributions.
Thanks,
Aaron Burhoe
kmccutcheon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 08:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the high-output cylinder barrels I am familiar with were forged or centrifugally-cast from Nitralloy. SAE 41xx series materials can be carburized or nitrided, but Nitralloy was specifically designed for the nitriding process, and produces a much harder surface. Cylinder barrels have also been chromium and nickel plated using various processes. The latest of these apply a chrome or nickel-carbide matrix. I believe these types of process are also applicable to SAE 41xx series steels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: