enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Franklin progress March 2011

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Collections/Restorations - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:38    Post subject: Franklin progress March 2011 Reply with quote

Pictures have been added to the picture link in the Feb. Reports.

One of the sheet metal cooling shrouds has a rust-through hole along the edge of the arched opening where the rocker cover pokes out of the shroud. Kim suggested using a backing made from brass sheet, so I fluxed and tinned the shroud and the backing, then silver soldered via butane torch with a copper soldering head on the tip. I held the backing in place with alligator clips, soldered the backing in place, filled the depression with additional solder, filed it down, smoothed and sealed it front and back with a little JB weld epoxy, sanded, and primed.

The shrouds still need a little hammering to correct the major distorsions and creases of age and abuse. The smaller imperfections will be left alone, maintaining character and saving some time. When it gets 10 degrees warmer in my garage, I'll paint them with shiny black rustoleum.

I had the engine mount sandblasted and the cast aluminum exhaust stacks glass-bead blasted. The mount came out very clean but with a rougher, 220 grit-like surface than I wanted. After a good inspection of the tubes, welds, and joints, I'll paint it ivory to show off all the doublers, gussets, and architecture of the built-up mount.

I'm running out of basement stuff to do and have to make the jump to building a stand or trailer for it next.
tfey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:39    Post subject: Picture links Reply with quote

Pictures can be found at the links below.

http://www.enginehistory.org/BBimages/tfey/
and
http://www.enginehistory.org/BBimages/tfey/EisemannAM4Magneto/index.html
rkammlott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 06:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good Tom!! nice to see thing going on here! Im looking forward to the trainer build .
rkammlott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 06:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

its already april 2 . weres the new update? is she running?
tfey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight pause to go on vacation. That, broken old appliances, training for an early summer bicycle tour, and the appearance of Spring here. Final painting of mount soon. Still cogitating on the trailer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Collections/Restorations - General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: