enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rolls Royce Nene Production

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Gas Turbines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljohnson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 17:53    Post subject: Rolls Royce Nene Production Reply with quote

New to the AEHS.

Looking to fill in the blank that is the history of the overlooked and "unloved" Nene Engine. The Nene, due to the continued axial flow development was considered a dead end, and it seems few wanted to admit to the thing. The design sure went far however and the Russians loved them.

On to the chase.

According to Janes, the "parent" company made 4,342 Nene's, however the numbers are impossible to reconcile in the light that they recorded...

17 development
4 civil for Vikings
876 for RAF, RN and prototype use in the UK
50 to Canada (Nene 10)
130 to Australia as Nene Mk II (assembled by CAC)
1108 for export...

900 built by Orenda as Nene 10 for the Silver Star
1139 Pratt and Whitney J-42
1250+ Hispano Suiza Nene

Looking for production serial ranges, information on the differences, and any other info.

Interested in survivors as well.

I know of 6 static CAC engines, several Orendas, and a couple Rolls Engines. I happen to own 1407, and am trying to "spot" the survivors in service and in storage. I will be trying to purchase a VH AUS engine soon, and adding to my store. Any help or directions that anyone can be provided would be greatfully received!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Gas Turbines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: