enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Franklin 4AC-150

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Collections/Restorations - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 22:57    Post subject: Franklin 4AC-150 Reply with quote

I just acquired a 1937/1938 Franklin 4AC-150 flat 4 cylinder, single ignition engine, mount, test prop, and manual. It came off a J-3 in running condition quite some time ago. Needs a few minor parts and a refurbished magneto, but all the essentials are there.

First step is to plug all the holes, clean it up, and get it in the basement (160 lbs) before the Chicago winter sets in. It'll take a while, but it will be runner. I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how to do so.

The adventure begins.

Tom Fey
rkammlott

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 06:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice. at least the propeller is easy on this one. Very Happy
tfey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that, although I still need the hub "crush plate" and the through bolts. The original magneto is a shell, but I've got another magneto with the correct innards. I need to mix and match.

It's got aluminum exhaust manifolds, which are pretty cool looking, but not sure how common that is.

TF
rkammlott

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are your plans? full tear down or just clean her up? are you going the trailer route or just a small run up stand?
tfey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

For cost, parts availability, and skill level reasons, it'll probably be a clean it up and try to run it approach. Depends on the compression test, too. The engine seems to be in pretty good shape with "good" compression by feel and no corrosion that I can find anywhere inside. I haven't gotten as far as mount or trailer design, but everytime I pass a personal watercraft for sale, I feel an urge to bid on the trailer. It would be the perfect starting point for a 180 lb, 50 hp, 44 inch diamter prop set up like mine. And I already have an airworthey mount for the engine, so that design and fabrication headache is solved. I took out the oil temp unit today, stuck the sensor in boiling water just for kicks, and son of a gun, 212 degrees F came up on the dial. Pretty exciting, but then again, I'm easily amused.

Tom
rkammlott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

good call on the Jet Ski trailer. never thought of those. im using a old equipment trailer for my 4360 project. you can always get them running then do a clean up on the engine. post up some pictures when you can.(i dont know how so dont ask)
tfey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Kim's help, I'm working on the pictures. Stay tuned. Oh, man, an R-4360! My, what big pistons you have..... Wink

Tom
tfey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, bad attempt at humor, that sounded a little creepy. I see your R-4360 and Jacobs pics on the website. I can't imagine the complexity of the Wasp Major, or just trying to move it around or handle the parts. Plus you need 28 or 56 of everything. But the cool factor is way over the top.

TF
rkammlott

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 07:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello, thanks for the kind works. i dont know what draws me into this hobby but why not right? im a little "scared" of working and getting the 4360 running. I have a few videos of it cranking over. pm me your email and ill send them to you. My jacobs is up and running. it want to bad to do. it came with a ton of spares bit and odd /ends. im waiting for my prop to set here. Just got your attension didnt I? its a wood prop and hub. Hope she fits. so hows your franklin coming? any updates.?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Collections/Restorations - General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: