enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wallan

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 05:31    Post subject: Books Reply with quote

First of all, an apology. I turned down an offer of a G/VG copy of Mackerle’s classic, “Air-cooled Automotive Engines”, for only £100. (Currently the best I see on the web $280, for only a F) I have a copy and never thought to ask if one of our members would like to buy it. In future, if I get any other such offers that I decline, I will alert our members. (I hear that a pair of the Docavia French aero engine books may be offered in an auction in Australia, soon)

On other (non-aero engine) book front, the Paul Skilletter biography of Norman Dewis, (Jaguar’s test driver and Le Mans driver) has been reprinted twice, and is currently on offer for £30 less, at £45 plus p/p. (other versions are available, leather bound, signed etc, at much greater prices) The good news is that p/p is a standard £8.50, (UK only) no matter how many copies you order. It’s a large, substantial book, with almost 600 pages, up to the standard we expect from our colleague, Mr. Ludvigsen, or Doug Nye’s BRM books.

http://www.paulskilleterbooks.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=70

Chris Heintz’s book, Flying on Your Own Wings: A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, is apparently on its way to me. (Mr. Heintz is a renowned aero engineer, especially involving light aircraft)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flying-Your-Own-Wings-Understanding/dp/1425188281/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274441296&sr=1-1

Released today, (available June) is a book I’m sure Graham White will enjoy, the biography, (written by his son) Sky Full of Dreams: the Aviation Exploits, Creations, and Visions of Bruce K Hallock

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0982639007/ref=oss_product

Finally, a late e-mail yesterday, confirms that Revell’s re-issued model kit of the Vought F7 Cutlass is now available for all you collectors. (their re-issued Skycrane is almost impossible to get over here)

Speaking of which, the book, Skycrane: Igor Sikorsky's Last Vision (Library of Flight Series) is due out in July

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skycrane-Sikorskys-Vision-Library-Flight/dp/1600867561/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274441173&sr=1-1
fbarrett

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:25    Post subject: Re: Books Reply with quote

wallan wrote:
I turned down an offer of a G/VG copy of Mackerle’s classic, “Air-cooled Automotive Engines”, for only £100. (Currently the best I see on the web $280, for only a F) I have a copy and never thought to ask if one of our members would like to buy it. In future, if I get any other such offers that I decline, I will alert our members.

I'd like to read that book. If you still have contact information for the seller, please pass it along.

Thanks,

Frank
wallan

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I bumped into a colleague from another department when we both went to see an Ariel Leader for sale. He's bought some books from me in the past, and mentioned that he had a copy of the Mackerle book he wanted to sell. I've got a mint copy, and I turned it down. (got to get a new car soon, plus you never know when a BMW 700 is coming on the market! Lost the chance to buy one when I moved house two years ago) Later I sent an e-mail to him about some other books, and he mentioned that he had sold it. As I say, I never thought to ask.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: