enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mercedes IIIa Information

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mabbott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 15:56    Post subject: Mercedes IIIa Information Reply with quote

Hi - looking for a complete history of the early Mercedes aero engines, specifically the IIIa and following over compressed engines.

Is there a book that contains this information? I've come across bit and pieces here and there and am interested in more of a collated view of the history of the engines - any pointers?

Thanks for any help.
wallan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 04:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off-hand, I can give you the following-

There are a number on NACA reports on German aero engines of WW1. I can’t access their site at the moment, so you’ll have to Google.

Enemy Aircraft Engines (of WW1) is available as a photocopy from the National Library of Scotland. (they tested captured aero engines and wrote it up in The Engineer magazine)

Piston Aero Engines of the Great War is available on two CD-ROMs from Hampshire County Council. They have the archives from Farnborough. These are reports, (could even be duplicates) similar to the previous.

Kolben-Flugmotoren by Hans Giger, although in German, will give you data about these engines.

I have a book, somewhere, which contains scale drawings of one of the German WW1 six-cylinder aero-engines. (I think it is Australian, and designed for modellers) I’ll check an see if I can find it at the weekend.

Peter Jackson’s crew have this- http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/projects/mercedes-engine/mercedes-engine-restoration
mabbott

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 04:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses and tips, much appreciated.

Already have some of NACA reports but always looking for more info. Plan next time home (Wellington, NZ) to head to Masterton and pay a visit to the Vintage Aviator.

I'll have a look around to see if there is a alternative means of sourcing "Enemy Aircraft Engines (of WW1)", not planning on heading to Scotland anytime soon Very Happy

olben-Flugmotoren by Hans Giger - added this to my wish list.

Thanks again for the direction.
wallan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 07:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can order a photocopy on-line from the NLS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Wants All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: