enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BMW aero engines, Milestones in aviation from the beginnings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wallan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:23    Post subject: BMW aero engines, Milestones in aviation from the beginnings Reply with quote

Apparently this is now available in an English language translation.
wpearce

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the book from Heel Verlag about a month ago and have not heard anything since. Well, I think I ordered it. Hard to tell when you don't speak or read German. Perhaps I preordered. Anyway, here is a link:

http://www.heel-verlag.de/cgi-bin/cosmoshop/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&wkid=29221&ls=d&nc=1250267346-29281&rubnum=&artnum=9783868522143&file=25&gesamt_zeilen=0Tsuche--bmw

www.oldmachinepress.com
wallan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone on another forum says that they have received their copy, and that BMW are only selling their books via Heel Verlag.

ISBN for English language version is 978-3-86852-214-3

I'm ordering a copy on Monday. I've asked a native German speaker to check my purchase, as my German isn't too hot these days. I'll let you know how I get on.

I got stung for 22 Euros postage on an Italian website when I ordered a book on the Campini Caproni aircraft which only cost 16 Euros http://www.aviolibri.it/risultati.php?dettaglio=7270 An Italian friend is bringing me a copy of a book on the Stipa Caproni http://www.aviolibri.it/risultati.php?titolo=true&autore=&argomento=&descrizione=&all=&ricerca=stipa&page=1&ordina=&dettaglio=7354 in his bag when he flys over to Britain on Monday

These Italian aircraft used piston engines and propellors in a duct-like fuselage in an attempt to produce jet powered flight.

http://www.regiamarina.net/arsenals/planes_it/jet/jet_us.htm

http://www.airbornegrafix.com/HistoricAircraft/ThingsWings/StipaCaproni.htm
wpearce

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm 7000 miles away from Germany I figured it could take some time to get here. Best of luck on your purchase.

Speaking of the Italians, I really feel their aerial exploits are underrepresented in the English language (and probably others). Last time I ordered from Italy (which was the first but probably not the last), only 2/3 of my order made it to me. The package had been damaged by one of our delicate postal handlers here in the US and a book lost. I’ve had books damaged before, but never 1 of 3 lost.

www.oldmachinepress.com
wpearce

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy arrived today (Saturday). I guess I just jumped the gun a bit on ordering. I have not had much time to look through it but so far it looks very good.

www.oldmachinepress.com
mabbott

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a old thread but if someone has this book are you able to provide some feedback on it?

Does it provide technical data (performance, diagrams etc) or is it a brief history?
wpearce

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum routinely resurrects threads that are years old. So it is not that old of a thread.

I am no BMW engine expert, I have not read the book cover-to-cover and the following is just my opinion, but I like the book. I do not know of any other place where you can get this amount of info on BMW aero engines.

The book is 224 pages in length. It has a few pages of charts in the back which list the specifics of each engine, such as type, cooling, dimensions, bore/stroke, hp, etc., along with production totals. Throughout the book you have vintage-era pictures and illustrations from various manuals. There are also some current-era restored engine photos.

For the 801 as an example, 21 pages are devoted to this engine. If you took out the illustrations you would be left with about 9 pages of text. But the illustrations are incredible, most being engine assembly or test photos as well as diagrams. The 801 is followed by 17 pages of piston engine projects which focus on 802 and 803.

While the book is by no means a comprehensive history of the development and service of all the BMW engines, I feel that it does cover them all and in many cases, more in depth than any other source I know. I would not call it a brief history either. It also includes in various sections, much on BMW aero engine production. It has many illustrations but I think they were well selected and really add to the book. They are not the same stock photos that are always seen. I would say that the production quality is high.

Personally, I’d like the book to be longer, but then I would not mind a 500 page book on every BMW engine. I think the 224 pages are well used and I would buy the book again.

If you would like, I can see about sending you (and anyone else who wants them) a few pictures of the book.

www.oldmachinepress.com
mabbott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 01:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thanks a lot for that overview, very helpful to understand the coverage of the book.

I think that seals it for me in terms of choosing to order it or not (which I will).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: