enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WW1 German Aircraft Engines book/journal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wallan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 02:28    Post subject: WW1 German Aircraft Engines book/journal Reply with quote

I only came across this by accident, and have never seen it anywhere else, in my 30 year quest for books, but the National Library of Scotland,

http://www.nls.uk/

has a copy of the following,

Enemy aircraft engines: detailed descriptions of certain of the engines in use; and, the German aeroplane engine trials: a description of the equipment and proceedings. Reprinted from the Automobile Engineer.
Imprint: London, [1918]

http://main-cat.nls.uk/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?Search_Arg=enemy+aircraft+engines&Search_Code=TALL&SL=None&PID=29981&SEQ=20031001085915&CNT=50&HIST=1&SEARCH_FROM_TITLES_PAGE=Y

It seems that during the Great War, a number of captured enemy engines were tested, in Britain, as well as being stripped and examined, and reports written up on them. These reports were then published, and bound in the volume above. All aspects are covered, design, manufacture, metallurgy, dimensions, etc. and there are a number of drawings, as well as photographs. (it's a big book, and is very like, in format, the small book published during WW2 on the same subject: Steel in Enemy Aircraft: A Metallurgical Study of German and Italian Aircraft Engine and Airframe Parts, 3 copies of which are available on www.addall.com at the moment)

The library offers a photocopy (Xerox) service, and will copy the whole thing on A3 paper. Send them an e-mail telling them what you want, and they will send you a price quote and a pro-forma, (you have to sign that you wont reproduce it) then you pay and wait. It cost me less than 20 pounds, (30 dollars) for a copy.

If anybody is interested in looking at my copy, I'll be bringing it over to the US next year, for the convention.

One or two of our members have seen a copy: can they respond and recommend it?

If anyone wants more information, post a query on this forum. (my home e-mail has a virus, so I'm using another computer)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: