enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wright R-1300 questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Wright Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ckuhns

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 19:06    Post subject: Wright R-1300 questions Reply with quote

The recent discussion about the r-1300 on e-Bay with the metal in the oil brought to mind a couple of questions I have about that model of Wright engine.Is the r-1300 half of a r-2600? I think they have the same bore and stroke.Was the r-1300 the last radial engine design by an American manafactuer?It seems like it was a bit futile to develop this engine as it was only used in the T-28a and a Sikorsky helicopter.Any comments about this subject? Carl
cconnacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:02    Post subject: Wright R-1300 Reply with quote

That is all I know about this engine also. In fact I didn't know there was an R-1300 until I saw it on ebay. That shows something about my knowledge of aircraft engines. I looked for info on it on an internet search engine and found about as much as you mentioned. It does appear to be a single row R-2600. At first I thought it may be a 7 cylinder R-1820 but the stroke is shorter & possibly a different bore. I was also wondering about the "rarity" of them, I mean I wonder how many of them might be around for the taking, even if only for a static display. I considered going for it myself but I'm still in debt over my 1820 & te trip to pick it up. I have become a single parent since aquiring the 1820 & the kids come first, but I sure am anxious to get into that engine. Someday!
rkamm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 18:18    Post subject: R-1300 Reply with quote

The R-1300 was also used on the T-28A's used by the US Air Force. The propeller used was a wide two blade type. I do not know the USAF reason for using this engine because most people that flew them seemed to consider them slightly underpowered, It may have been because they were originally designed to simulate the characterisics of the jet aircraft used at that time. The pilots and anyone who worked on the early USAF jets can tell you their accelleration was usually poor. The US Navy ordered them with larger engines and these are most of the T-28's you see flying today but occassionally you will see one equiped with the R-1300. Just look at the propeller.
ckuhns

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attended the Indy Air Show a few weeks back and there was a T-28a powered by a r-1300 with a Hamilton Standard 3 bladed prop so the number of prop blades is not an indication of which engine is installed in a T-28.I bet that the two bladed prop which was made by Aero Products is hard to find parts for. Of course there are T-28a airplanes in museums with the two bladed props but those airplanes are not air worthy. Carl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Wright Engines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: