enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Curious Aero-Engine Book

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwells

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 16:19    Post subject: Curious Aero-Engine Book Reply with quote

I picked up a copy of an odd engine book from EBay recently. It is American, circa 1930, 7.5" X 5" with dark green hard cover on which is printed in gold, "Aviation Engines" and "J. C. Butler". Spine has no markings at all.
The book is 473 pages and has no title page and no contents page (or index).
The volume is made up of segments which appear to be learn-by-mail installments as the reader is invited to send in the answers to the end-of-chapter questions promptly.
Some pages have a copyright claim by the "International Textbook Co."
The book has 17 fold-out drawings/photos which are of outstanding quality. Never seen better.
Never seen a copy advertised for sale on the net.
Anybody know anything about the origins of this work?
wallan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 06:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until 1969 they published compilations of ICS (International Correspondence Schools) courses. (ICS are still going today, and are based in Glasgow, Scotland) I have some segments of the course in the book you have, but they are very dirty. They are part of a distance learning package, sort of a trade version of the Open University. My next-door neighbour taught himself television repair in the 1960's using ICS. The Aviation Engines course has three volumes and most copies available on www.addall.com are for 1938 and are stamped ICS Staff.
jwells

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Bill.
I did a search on addall but nothing comes up either for title or author.
wallan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 01:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put Aviation Engines into the Title search with ICS for a keyword and got this. Hope it helps.

http://used.addall.com/SuperRare/submitRare.cgi?author=&title=aviation+engines&keyword=ICS&isbn=&order=TITLE&ordering=ASC&dispCurr=USD&binding=Any+Binding&min=&max=&timeout=20&match=Y&store=Abebooks&store=AbebooksDE&store=AbebooksFR&store=AbebooksUK&store=Alibris&store=Amazon&store=AmazonCA&store=AmazonUK&store=AmazonDE&store=AmazonFR&store=Antiqbook&store=Biblio&store=Biblion&store=Bibliophile&store=Bibliopoly&store=Booksandcollectibles&store=Half&store=ILAB&store=LivreRareBook&store=Powells&store=Strandbooks&store=ZVAB
jwells

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 22:38    Post subject: I.T.C. book Reply with quote

OK, finally got on to it though it doesn't say much for the Addall search engine if that's what it takes to find a book!
Looks as if, at some stage, the ITC decided to put the three volumes together as a single publication. Presumably J.C. Butler was the author or perhaps, editor.
It's a quaint little book, well worth having.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: