enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turbochargers and Reno

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 20:22    Post subject: Turbochargers and Reno Reply with quote

Question: why don´t Reno people remove the engine stage supercharger altogether and thus get rid of the power eating device and replace it with pure turbocharging? In virtually all other forms of motor sports turbocargers are used if not forbidden by idiotic rules. Note: I don´t rate "drag racing" as motor sports, I rate it as a joke.
rwahlgren

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hung around a Reno race plane a little bit, and the impression I came away with is, it is all show and no go. I felt that there were alot of engine modifications that could have been done, but they had no interest in doing any. The standard overhaul is expensive enough I guess.
I don't know about the inlines, but most of the radials are pretty much as manufactured with some basic modifications, as reduction cases swapped, missing PRT's, cooling spray bars, and things like that.
Lately all motor sport rules seem to be ruling against, engineering and out of the box thinking.
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 04:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to me eyes the many mods described by Graham´s arrticles are not simple, to say the least. Fitting a turbocharger wouldn´t be that difficult. I have been thinking that perhaps the Bendix pressure carb that seems to be the major fuel system in Reno engine is very unsuitable for operating under "pressure" (vs. suction). With direct injected R-3350s, this should not be a problem.
gwhite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 06:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Kerchenfout tried a pair of turbos on a P-63 many years ago. According to Bill it didn't work. We'll get all the nitty gritty details at the convention where Bill will divulge all his "secrets". Although Bill does not believe in the concept of racing secrets, he shares everything and hides nothing.
For any one even remotely intersted in Unlimited Class Air Racing the 2008 Convention is a must-attend. This will be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to rub shoulders with the greatest including Bill, the Sanders brothers, Jack Hovey, Dave Cornell and of course Pete Law, all of whom will be presenting. In addition we may have Mike Wilton, Bill's engine man in attendance.
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, could Bill´s "failure" be indeed related to the carburettor´s inability to work under positive pressure?
gwhite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 06:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the details of why the P-63 project did not work out. However, I doubt if it was a carb problem, remeber the same carb was installed on the P-38 operating under positive pressure conditions.
For the inside scoop why don't you plan on attending the convention? With the depressed value of the $ it will be an excellent deal. Furthermore, it will give you the opportunity to meet many of the folks you have communicated with on this forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: