enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Napier Sabre

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Air Racing - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 03:15    Post subject: Napier Sabre Reply with quote

Any idea is someone planning to use the Sabre as a Reno powerplant? In fact, how many decent condition Sabres do survive in the first place?
gravery

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 05:08    Post subject: Re: Napier Sabre Reply with quote

jjuutinen wrote:
Any idea is someone planning to use the Sabre as a Reno powerplant? In fact, how many decent condition Sabres do survive in the first place?

As far as I know, one on this side of the pond... The restorer said it was unlikely the engine being restored to flyable conditions. Unsurprising when considering the mechanical complexity of this engine and the risk to fly such a temperamental aircraft, any volunteer?

Last edited by gravery on Sat Mar 04, 2023 03:57; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wpearce

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:39    Post subject: Re: Napier Sabre Reply with quote

jjuutinen wrote:

I don't think you will see any race. There are only a handful around and none running. After a bit or research, all seem to be in museums with no intention of anything other than static display. Most are probably not serviceable.

The one exception is Kermit Weeks. He supposedly has 1 or 2 and is trying to make one a runner for his Hawker Tempest project. I think that is the one pictured above.

Even the Napier-Heston racer project can't find one, and they are working with the Napier Power Heritage Trust.

With luck, the situation will change but I fear it is unlikely.

I'd love to see one in a Hawker Sea Fury. That to me is one of the most beautiful planes ever. http://www.pbase.com/marauder61/image/55757158

www.oldmachinepress.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Air Racing - General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: