enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First World War, Airframe Construction.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jirving

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 05:21    Post subject: First World War, Airframe Construction. Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a good general book on First World War, Airframe construction.I'm particularly looking for information on Engine, Fuel and Oil installations for both rotary and watercooled Engines, together with general airframe construction techniques.
gwhite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of years ago the Curtiss Jenny Handbook dated 1918 was republished. Not sure if it's still available. It was distributed by Aviation Publications, P.O. Box 123 Milwaukee, WI 53201
jfairchild

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,
New Years greetings!
A good general book, particuliarly on airframes, is 'Practical Aviation', 2nd edition 1919, by Charles Hayward. 780 pages, U.S published but covering German and Allied airframes. Includes an 87 page chapter 'Building an Aeroplane'. The installation information is relatively light.
A very detailed study of one aircraft in particular is 'Handbook of Installation of Liberty Engine In De H. 9a'. This has 70 pages of text, photos and drawings including oil and fuel tanks, tubes and fittings with sizes, gauges etc. I guess similar Installation books were published for other aircraft ? This one is published by the British Ministry of Munitions in July 1918.
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the cheapish reprint "Jane´s Fighting Aircraft of WW One". It has excellent structural descriptions on several aircraft types and simply incredible descriptions of some engines like Benz, Austro-Daimler and Maybach.
pshort

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 03:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

One book that you can buy new is "Airboard Technical Notes volume 2", c1918, reprinted by Camden, who sell it for £8.95.

I haven't seen it myself, but they advertise it as "covering the assembly and rigging of a selection of aircraft". 99 pages. Their ad lists the aircraft covered.

I have "Modern Aircraft" by Victor Page, 1929 - stated as being intended for students of aircraft, 800+ pages. Seems to cover everything pretty well.
klankenau

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 09:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use a variety of period publications for our shop work and reference. Those having especially good coverage in this area include;
- Aeroplane Construction and Operation by John B. Rathbun
Stanton and Van Vilet Co Publishers, 1919
- Aircraft Mechanics Handbook by Fred H. Colvin
McGraw-Hill Book Co Publishers, 1918

The Colvin book has been frequently reprinted.
jfairchild

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sister volume to the Rathbun recommended by Kip is 'Aeroplane Engines in Theory and Practice', also by Rathbun, 1921.
I have rather overlooked this on my shelf, probably because it doesn't have an index but looking at it once more it has lots of stuff on engine installation including fuel oil air + engine bearers.

By the way Kip, have you seen the book 'Aviation Ignition' by Delco ?
A hardback book, around 1919, in sleeve with 40+ well illustrated pages ?
klankenau

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think I've seen that particular Delco book, yet. We're always on the prowl for interesting period pieces. Some additional books of this early period which can give you some idea of the 'state of the art' and are frequently helpful include;
Audels Engineers and Mechanics Guide 4, Theo. Audel & Co publishers, 1921 A comprehensive overview of aeroplanes of the time, intended primarily to be used by the local mechanic/blacksmith should an aeroplane alight in your vicinity and require repair.
Simple Aerodynamics and The Airplane, by Charles Monteith, published by the Engineering Division of McCook Field, 1921 Don't let the title throw you. At 299 pages, it goes far further than just simple aerodynamics. A very comprehensive, interesting and actually readable publication. It throws a great deal of light on aircraft design as understood at the time. The graphs and formulas alone are facinating.

Whenever researching this time period, don't forget to look in automobile publications. They're far more numerous than aviation pieces and share many of the components and theories. Two of my favorites are;
Dyke's Automobile and Gasoline Engine Encyclopedia, by A.L. Dyke, The Goodheart-Willcox Company publishers, 1943 This covers virtually everything automotive engine and accessory related from the beginning of the internal combustion engine. Over 1200 pages of drawings, photos and descriptions in very detailed form.
American Machinist Magazine; Automobiles 1913-15, Lindsay Publications, 2003 A reprint of selected articles from early issues of American Machinist Magazine. Excellent articles explaining the 'how to', graduating from batch to mass production techniques. The photos alone are priceless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: