enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inverting an Allison

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Allison Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:37    Post subject: Inverting an Allison Reply with quote

Folks, check out www.flugwerk.de and their FW 190D project with Allison power. I am just wondering what mods would be required to convert an Allison to run inverted like the original Jumo? Would revised scavenge pumps suffice?
szielinski

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Graham is referring to the lubrication of the nose case
(maybe a problem with airlocks under some conditions?)

Actually the cooling system may be more prone to air pocket problems than lubrication.

...then there's the engine mounts, metric/imperial conversion for fasteners, etc.
rhaus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 09:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like I recall something I read about some experiments done with either the Allison V-1710 or possibly the Packard Merlin V-1650 to run in an inverted position as the DB605's, etc did. The obvoius advantage being the gain in forward and downward visibility by putting the narrow portion of the engine up top and the wider on bottom. Anyone ever heard of this? ...If such a redesign were contemplated and if any details survive, it would likely answer the questions of what issues this would present. My guess is major alterations to lubrication, cooling, and fuel systems would be required.

rh
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the relative ease with which the DH Gipsy engines went from upright designs to inverted ones I am inclined to believe that inverting an Allison should not be too difficult an effort. In all likelihood a lesser operation than a new custom nose case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Allison Engines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: