enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Info on German WWII piston aero-engines.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> DB, Junkers, Other German Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwells

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 00:00    Post subject: Info on German WWII piston aero-engines. Reply with quote

This subject seems to always generate a lot of interest. Below are some good sources of information that members may not know about:

1/ SAE paper #410131. "The Mercedes-Benz DB 601-A Aircraft Engine" by Raymond Young (Wright Aero) 1941.
A very comprehensive paper of 23 pages. Detailed description + diagrams + photos. Even chemical analysis of metals used! Report on DB supercharger test as well.

2/ SAE paper #410081. "Discussion of the DB 601-A Engine" by W. H. Sprenkle. 1941.
Supplement to the above paper. 18 pages of detailed description of the DB 601 fuel system. Photos + graphs + drawings.

3/ SAE paper #420123. "Design Features of the Junkers 211B Aircraft Engine." by Sidney Oldberg & T. M. Ball. (Chrysler Corp.) 1942.
19 pages of description + photos + graphs + diagrams.

4/ SAE paper #420085. "Two-speed Supercharger Drives." by F. M. Kincaid, Jr. (Wright Aero).
Good description of supercharger drive mechanisms used in British, German and U.S. aero-engines. 18 pages.

5/ "Flight" magazine. "An Inverted Vee Engine" 7 Nov. 1940. 4 pages. Good description and photos.

6/ "Flight" magazine. "The Mercedes-Benz DB 601N" 16 April 1942. 5 pages with photos and drawings including a Max Millar cutaway.

Jerry W.

Last edited by jwells on Fri Jul 07, 2006 23:11; edited 1 time in total
rinkol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

These appear to be very interesting. Is there any simple way of accessing any of them?

thanks
Robert
jwells

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 00:11    Post subject: DB piston engines Reply with quote

Regarding avability of the above mentioned info, the first four are obtainable from the Society of Automotive Engineers whose web-site is www.sae.org
The "Flight" magazine articles may prove a little more difficult but I obtained mine through my local library via their interlibrary loan system. Most libraries have an interlibrary loans officer and, in my experience, it is well worth taking the time to get to know this person! These days, the I.L.L. officers can find almost anything you request. If you give them all the details of the required article, they will find a library that has a collection of "Flight" magazines and the rest is easy!
Good luck,
Jerry.
sithomas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some good information on DB and Junkers motors buried in this Museum library.
https://muzeumlotnictwa.pl/digitalizacja/index.php?/category/40
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> DB, Junkers, Other German Engines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: