enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Daimler Benz engine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> DB, Junkers, Other German Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gryan

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 14:42    Post subject: Daimler Benz engine Reply with quote

Does anyone have an illustration or drawings of the DB 609 engine? Where can I get information about this engine?
rinkol

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a frontal drawing in book "Flugmotorent und Strahltriebwerke by Gersdorff and Grasmann.

A difference that is immediately apparent is that the valves are inclined to each side more than was usual in the other DB engines, and operated by double overhead cams. Also, it looks like it may have had wet cylinder liners.

Robert
gryan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll chase this up. What aircraft were they looking to put this into? Was it for a revised 109?

---

I'm not certain if it was a DB engine or a Junkers but I recall one of the German V-12s had three valves per cylinder. I think two were exhausts and one was inlet. Is this correct? If so, it would appear to be the opposite of what everyone else is doing these days (2 In & 1 Ex). Why was this done?

Gerald
jwells

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 22:43    Post subject: Daimler-Benz DB609 engine. Reply with quote

Sources of info on this engine:

1/ "The Power To Fly" Setright, 1971. p152 full page L.S. shows side-by-side con-rods, one-piece crankcase/cylinder block, huge roller main bearings and central fuel injection nozzle.
p154 full page T.S. shows 6o deg. Vee (like the Chrysler IV 2220) and double-walled crankcase (also like the Chrysler). Double overhead camshafts and DB 601 type lever tappets.
Appendix lists details for DB609 models A to M (excluding I)

2/ Jane's Reprint p 292 gives short summary.

3/ "Flugmotoren und Strahl-etc" p 115 gives T.S., diagrams showing upright and inverted installation plus graph showing H.P. vs altitude performance.

Jerry W.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> DB, Junkers, Other German Engines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: