enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Book; Wolseley Radial Aero Engines: Lord Nuffield's Venture

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wallan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 05:20    Post subject: Book; Wolseley Radial Aero Engines: Lord Nuffield's Venture Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0752439154/qid=1146222927/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_0_1/203-2749422-7780733

A new book on Lord Nuffield's (of Morris Cars fame) attempt at producing aero engines. Neville Shute (Norway) in Slide Rule, and the book on Airspeed by Don Middleton mention the Governments stupidity in this matter. Hopefully, we will have the full story in this book. (due to be published in September)

Hope we can use the synopsis on Amazon below.

Synopsis
This is a history of both development of Wolseley's complete range of radial aero engines and also Lord Nuffield's ambition to enter into the large-scale manufacture of these engines, which was stifled and abetted by the government. Comprising an early history of Wolseley Co., pioneers in the manufacture of both motor cars and aero-engines before the First World War, the book also relays the events surrounding Lord Nuffield's attempts through Wolseley to design and manufacture a range of light aircraft, and also looks at Nuffield's involvement with aircraft in World War Two, and his responsibility for establishing the Castle Bromwich Aircraft Factory (for the mass production of Spitfires). A little known aspect of Lord Nuffield's career, his doomed flirtation with the aero engine is a fascinating glimpse into a rare failure for a great man.
pshort

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 04:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Sounds like another book I need to get...

You mention Don Middleton - I hadn't heard of him until this week when I got a copy of his "Tests of Character" book. I am enjoying it, an excellent book! (Recounts the experiences of many test pilots over the years).

That reminds me to mention a large booklet (40 pages) I recently bought - "Classic and Modern Aero-Engines associated with Lancashire and the North West of England" by James H. Longworth, 1999. I got it direct from the Lancashire County Council. This area seems to include most of the famous manufacturers. Only space to give very brief details, OK if you need to have everything printed about engines!
wallan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 05:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a copy. I've also seen it in remaindered bookshops.
wallan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 06:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airspeed by Don Middleton is an excellent book on the company.
wallan

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 06:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image of the Wolseley engine book

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0752439154.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
wallan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

It arrived today, and after a quick glance, it looks like it will be a very informative book. It's very much in the style of the Newcomen Society Transactions, with copious notes at the end of each chapter, and that lovely 'just cut' smell of a new book. I'll let you know more after I've read it.
gwhite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received mine today. Bill, I apprecaite the tip it looks like a good read. So far the only quibble I would have is the price but that may be due in no small part to the devalued dollar.
wallan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was slightly overpriced, too, over here, but your devalued dollar is saving me a fortune in buying stuff online from America.
jwells

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the Wolseley book, mine came a couple of days ago from "The Book Depository Ltd" Gloucester as advertised on Amazon. Cost - $US32 including air freight. It seems there is quite a variation in advertised prices for this book, so shop around!

Quite a well presented book but the text is in small, fine print and the quotations (of which there are many) are in even smaller, fine print. Not easy reading for those of us who are beyond the hawk-eyed, teenager stage!.

Jerry W.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: