enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

R-1820 piston and wrist pin construction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Pratt & Whitney Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ckuhns

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 18:58    Post subject: R-1820 piston and wrist pin construction Reply with quote

I recently viewed a piston and wrist pin from a Wright r-1820 that was installed in A T-28.Instead of having two aluminum plugs in the ends of the wrist pin as do Lycoming or Contintenal engines this Wright piston had only one.A shoulder machined in the piston keeps the pin from contacting the cylinder wall on the side that does not employ the aluminum plug.The pin has a grove machined into its exrernal surface on the side which carries the aluminum plug.I wonder if the grove is for a puller.Are there any advantages to this type of construction?How does Pratt and Whitney secure their wrist pins? Thanks Carl Kuhns
gwhite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 08:16    Post subject: Re: R-1820 piston and wrist pin construction Reply with quote

kkuhns wrote:
I recently viewed a piston and wrist pin from a Wright r-1820 that was installed in A T-28.Instead of having two aluminum plugs in the ends of the wrist pin as do Lycoming or Contintenal engines this Wright piston had only one.A shoulder machined in the piston keeps the pin from contacting the cylinder wall on the side that does not employ the aluminum plug.The pin has a grove machined into its exrernal surface on the side which carries the aluminum plug.I wonder if the grove is for a puller.Are there any advantages to this type of construction?How does Pratt and Whitney secure their wrist pins? Thanks Carl Kuhns

P&W uses 2 plugs, one each end of the wrist pin. According the Wright manuals I have, they use a spring device rather than an aluminum plug. The groove you describe on the outer diameter of the wrist pin retains the spring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Pratt & Whitney Engines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: