enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1939 Aerosphere and others

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pshort

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 05:15    Post subject: 1939 Aerosphere and others Reply with quote

-"1939 Aerosphere" - I wonder if anyone has a copy of this book they are interested in selling? A good home offered!

Also, "Textbook of Aero Engines" by Sherbondy was mentioned in another post, sounds like another good one.

Other books I am looking to hopefully buy one day:

-"The Rolls-Royce Aero Engine" by Bill Gunston (Haynes were going to reprint/update this 2-3 years ago, but seem to have canned the idea, unfortunately)

-The Power To Fly" by LJK Setright.

-Any of the Smithsonian Annals of Flight, especially "The Curtiss D-12 Aero Engine"

-How about the Memoirs of Ernest C. Simpson (unsure of title), 1987, sponsored by the Aero Propulsion Laboratory of the Wright Patterson AFB? In Max Bentele's autobiography, he mentions this man as an aero propulsion pioneer, but I can't find any trace of this memoir.

-Bentele also mentions a book "The Wind and Beyond" by Theodore von Karman, 1967. Mainly about aerodynamics I think, has anyone read this one? I wonder if it is an interesting read?

-"The History of a Dimension" by S.H. Grylls. A paper, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Automobile Division, Oct 1963. I read somewhere that this is about RR engines, can anyone comment or point me towards a copy?

-How about "The beast - Living with the R-3350". Has anyone seen or read this book? Sounds pretty interesting.

Any help with the above, or others similar would be much appreciated, a good, permanent home offered for books!

edit note: I better come clean - I am a tightwad who loves books, so always looking for reasonable prices.....

Oh, and I can now answer one of my own questions after searching - "The Beast - Living with the R-3350" by E.M. Gillum seems to have been an article in the AAHS Journal, vol 45, N0.3, Fall 2000, not a book. Anyone read this?

Peter
wallan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 07:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

About your requests:

-"1939 Aerosphere"

Used to be quite common on www.addall.com, (used section) and www.abebooks.com, but now all they show are the 40's editions.

"Textbook of Aero Engines" by Sherbondy

Got it: can't remember if it is good or bad.

Other books I am looking to hopefully buy one day:

-"The Rolls-Royce Aero Engine" by Bill Gunston

I haven't been keeping my eye on this one, but it seems to be increasing in value, rapidly.

-The Power To Fly" by LJK Setright.

A valuable collectors book, I'm afraid, so no cheap copies out there. (price seems to have fallen a little, recently)

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?bx=off&sts=t&ds=30&bi=0&an=setright&tn=power&sortby=2

-Any of the Smithsonian Annals of Flight, especially "The Curtiss D-12 Aero Engine"

Use the link below, for the Curtiss one, and addall or abe, for the others in the series. AVOID the reprint variety: they are basic photocopies. The other ones are still quite cheap

http://used.addall.com/SuperRare/submitRare.cgi?author=Byttebier&title=&keyword=&isbn=&order=TITLE&ordering=ASC&dispCurr=USD&binding=Any+Binding&min=&max=&timeout=20&match=Y&StoreAbebooks=on&StoreAlibris=on&StoreAntiqbook=on&StoreBiblio=on&StoreBiblion=on&StoreBibliophile=on&StoreBibliopoly=on&StoreBooksandcollectibles=on&StoreHalf=on&StoreILAB=on&StoreMaremagnum=on&StorePowells=on&StoreStrandbooks=on&StoreZVAB=on

-How about the Memoirs of Ernest C. Simpson (unsure of title), 1987, sponsored by the Aero Propulsion Laboratory of the Wright Patterson AFB?

I've got this at home. (I'm in America on holiday at the moment) I found this a very disjointed book.

"The Wind and Beyond" by Theodore von Karman, 1967.

It's his biography: I think I found the more recent book about him more interesting.

-"The History of a Dimension" by S.H. Grylls. A paper, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Automobile Division, Oct 1963.

One of our other members was asking about this: did they get a copy?

Hope this helps.
pshort

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

wallan,

Thanks for your help.

Books like "Power To Fly" and "Rolls-Royce Aero Engines" I have borrowed from the library, they are both good, and worth having, but I certainly won't be paying those crazy prices sometimes mentioned for Power To Fly. I'll just bide my time...

The only one of the Smithsonian Annals I have is the one on the Liberty engine. I was quite disappointed with this one. Although it is about an engine, it doesn't look at the technical much at all. Is the Curtiss D-12, and, others in the series, better in this regard?

I do buy books through searches on Abebooks and Bookfinder, I have interests in steam, machine tools, industrial history, automotive etc...Abebooks has to be one of the best things about the internet, especially when you live at the bottom of the world, where some books either never were sold, or certainly not many.

However....I don't like the whole "collector" thing, whether it be books, traction engines, cars ... the way prices go out of sight. I suppose I 'collect' books, but the ones I have to pay a lot for just make me feel sick, I don't consider what a good investment I have made...that is because I have no intention of ever selling them, they are essential to life. I started buying books when I left school, I can't think of many that have ever left me!

Sorry, just complaining about the realities of life I guess...bah, humbug

ps. this thread takes up about two screen widths on my monitor. It seems to be one of the urls is mega-long. How can I make my screen sort this out - or does the poster have to edit it??

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Wants All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: